One of the most popular Starbucks chai tea latte modifications is to top an iced chai with a fluffy layer of vanilla sweet cream foam. Flavoring a chai latte with vanilla or pumpkin spice syrup also tops the list of customer favorites.
In fact, the number of ways to customize a chai tea latte at Starbucks is practically limitless.
This is because all the flavors in Starbucks chai black tea concentrate (cinnamon, ginger and cardamom) are easily complemented by many other Starbucks ingredients.
Now, the Starbucks menu only list two chai latte options—hot or iced. Plus, there’s also a chai tea bag for making a tasty cup of Starbucks hot brewed tea.
But customizing your drink is the name of the game at Starbucks. So here’s a look at some of the best ways to modify Starbucks hot and iced chai tea lattes.
Just keep in mind, not all modifications can be ordered via the Starbucks app, so you may need to place your order at the drive-thru or in-person.
Additionally, make note, most modifications will add to the overall price of the drink.
Ways to Customize a Chai Tea Latte
Here are all the ways to modify a chai drink at Starbucks.
Note: The cost for each type of customization indicated below is approximate. These prices are subject to change and may vary by location.
- Mix the drink with flavored syrup. Popular syrup flavors to combine with chai are vanilla, sugar-free vanilla, cinnamon dolce and brown sugar. (Adding in syrup is about .80 cents.)
- Combine chai with a flavored sauce. Customer favorites include white mocha sauce and pumpkin spice sauce during the fall season. (Adding in sauce is approximately and extra .80 cents.)
- Select another type of milk. Starbucks chai tea lattes are made with 2% reduced fat milk, but you can select any type of milk—dairy or non-dairy. Non-dairy options include almondmilk, coconutmilk, oatmilk and soy. (Switching the milk to half & half, heavy cream or non-dairy adds about .70 cents to the drink’s price.)
- Top an iced chai latte with sweet cream cold foam. Vanilla flavored sweet cream cold foam is by far the most requested topping on iced chai tea lattes. However, the cream can be modified with any flavor syrup like cinnamon dolce or even pumpkin spice. (A topping of sweet cream cold foam costs about $1.25.)
- Add a drizzle on top or lining the cup. Caramel drizzle is the most commonly ordered, but sometimes people order strawberry drizzle (puree), as well. (Drizzle is about .60 cents extra.)
- Sprinkle on a topping. Ask for a dusting of cinnamon powder or seasonally available toppings like cinnamon dolce sprinkles or pumpkin spice topping. (Cinnamon powder is free but specialty toppings like sprinkles are about .50 cents.)
- Combine the chai tea latte with another drink. Order a dirty chai with a shot of espresso or even combine chai with scoops of Starbucks matcha powder. (Each espresso shot costs about .90 cents. Matcha powder is an additional .90 for any number of scoops.)
21 Popular Starbucks Chai Tea Latte Drink Modifications
Now that you know all the possible ways to customize chai drinks, here’s a look at the best chai tea latte modifications at Starbucks for both iced and hot drinks.
1. Iced Chai Tea Latte with Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam
One of the most popular Starbucks chai latte modifications is an Iced Chai Tea Latte with Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam.
And it’s easy to see (or taste) why. Simply put, this chai latte is delicious. Each sip is the perfect blend of warm and spicy chai and sweet vanilla-flavored cream.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam
2. Iced Chai Tea Latte with Pumpkin Cold Foam
Starbucks pumpkin cream cold foam is normally served on cold brew coffee.
But dare I say, it’s even more delicious on top of an iced chai tea latte?
In fact, I’m surprised Starbucks doesn’t elevate this “secret drink” to regular fall menu status. Afterall, pumpkin and chai are like fall in a cup.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam.
3. Pumpkin Chai Latte
Starbucks tea drinkers enjoy chai lattes year-round. But when the fall season arrives, chai tea lattes seem even more warm and cozy.
To enjoy all the flavors of fall, why not add a few pumps of pumpkin spice sauce to a chai latte?
How to order this drink: Hot or Iced Chai Tea Latte + Pumpkin Spice Sauce
Related: Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte Recipe
4. Pumpkin Oatmilk Chai Tea Latte
This Starbucks chai latte drink, has two customizations.
First the milk is swapped out for oatmilk. To me, the oat flavor and chai combination are reminiscent of an oatmeal cookie.
Secondly, pumpkin spice sauce is combined with the chai tea.
Make note, however, this is not a dairy-free drink since the pumpkin sauce contains milk.
How to order this drink: Hot or Iced Chai Tea Latte + Pumpkin Spice Sauce. Substitute milk with oatmilk.
5. Iced Chai with Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam & Spiced Apple Drizzle
Looking for a new fall-flavored chai tea latte?
It didn’t take long for Starbucks chai tea drinkers to discover the new spiced apple drizzle topping. And it’s a winner.
This apple pie-flavored drizzle perfectly complements all the warm spiciness of chai along with sweet vanilla cream.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam + Spiced Apple Drizzle Topping
6. Iced Chai with Cinnamon Dolce Cold Foam
Here’s an easy way to add a creamy, cinnamon-flavored sip to an iced chai tea latte.
Simply add-on a topping of sweet cream cold foam blended with cinnamon dolce syrup.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Cinnamon Dolce Sweet Cream Cold Foam
7. Iced Cinnabon Chai Tea Latte
This over-the-top Tik-Tok style chai drink has it all—cinnamon syrup, buttery caramel drizzle, a creamy vanilla topping, finished with cinnamon dolce sprinkles.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Cinnamon Dolce Syrup + Caramel Drizzle in the Cup + Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam + Cinnamon Dolce Sprinkles
8. Cinnamon Oatmilk Chai Tea Latte
Cinnamon, oats and chai. If this drink sounds like comfort in a cup, that’s because it is. It’s also dairy-free.
Here’s a few ways to create this delicious flavor trio.
How to order this drink: There are a few ways to order this latte, hot or iced since you can add-in cinnamon with cinnamon dolce syrup and/or cinnamon powder on top. Order a hot or iced chai tea latte with oatmilk and add-in cinnamon dolce syrup if desired and/or top the latte with cinnamon powder. For the iced version you may want to add a topping of vanilla cold foam dusted with cinnamon powder.
9. Vanilla Chai Latte
Here’s a simple way to customize a chai latte with a touch of vanilla and even more sweetness.
How to order this drink: Hot or Iced Chai Tea Latte + Vanilla Syrup (or Sugar-free Vanilla Syrup)
10. Iced Vanilla Chai with Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam & Caramel Drizzle
This Iced Vanilla Chai Latte is a little bit creamy and perhaps a touch decadent. With a topping of vanilla cold foam and buttery caramel, each sip of this chai latte is a sweet treat.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Vanilla Syrup (or Sugar-free Vanilla Syrup) + Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam + Caramel Drizzle (in cup or on top)
11. Iced French Vanilla Chai Tea Latte
This chai latte takes on the subtle flavor of “french vanilla” with the addition of hazelnut syrup whipped into the vanilla sweet cream.
And when it’s available, salted brown sugar topping is the finishing touch. Caramel drizzle is another option.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Vanilla Syrup (or Sugar-free Vanilla Syrup) + Hazelnut Sweet Cream Cold Foam + Salted Brown Sugar Topping
12. Iced Chai with Strawberry Cream Cold Foam
A chai tea latte topped with a lightly pink-hued strawberry cream may not be the first chai modification that comes to mind, but it works.
Perhaps this fruity chai combination is one you have to sample before ordering.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Strawberry Sweet Cream Cold Foam
Related: 15 Best Starbucks Strawberry Drinks
13. Iced Chai with Strawberry Cream Cold Foam & Strawberry Drizzle
Here’s another chai and strawberry cream duo. This version has a sweet layer of Starbucks strawberry puree sandwiched between the chai and strawberry-flavored cold foam.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Strawberry Sweet Cream Cold Foam + Strawberry Drizzle (between chai and cream layers or on top)
14. Dirty Chai Latte
All Starbucks chai drinks contain caffeine. But if you want to take the caffeine up a notch, go for it with a shot of espresso. Starbucks toasty signature espresso and chai make great companions.
Want even more caffeine and espresso: order a Double Dirty Chai made with two extra shots of espresso.
For the record, each espresso shot is contains about 75mg of caffeine.
How to order this drink: Hot or Iced Chai Tea Latte + Espresso Shots (specify number of shots)
15. Chai Matcha Latte
Chai tea lovers and matcha lovers unite.
I’ll admit this isn’t my favorite way to switch up a normal chai latte, but some people really love this drink.
In addition to a little matcha flavor, each scoop of this sweet powdered green tea also adds more caffeine.
How to order this drink: Hot or Iced Chai Tea Latte + Matcha Powder (specify number of scoops)
16. Iced Matcha Latte with Chai and Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam
Here’s another way to enjoy a creamy sip of vanilla, chai and matcha.
For this drink modification, I suggest ordering an iced chai tea latte and adding matcha to it (as opposed to order a matcha latte and adding in chai syrup).
This is because chai tea lattes are shaken by the barista. This helps combine and dissolve the matcha. Typically, matcha lattes aren’t shaken.
This drink is finished with a topping of vanilla sweet cream cold foam.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Matcha Powder + Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam
Related: Best Starbucks Matcha Drinks
17. Sugar Cookie Latte
This chai tea latte modification takes on the flavor of a traditional sugar cookie and is definitely decadent.
In fact, this Tik-Tok famous drink has it all—chai, vanilla, white chocolatemocha sauce, cinnamon and lots of cream.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Vanilla Syrup (or Sugar-free Vanilla Syrup) + White Mocha Sauce + Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam + Cinnamon Dolce Sprinkles. Substitute milk with Breve (Half & Half).
18. Butter Cookie Chai
If you’ve got a weakness for butter cookies, you’ve got to give this chai latte a try.
Some people swear this simple combination of chai, brown sugar and oatmilk tastes just like Trader Joe’s butter cookies.
How to order this drink: Hot or Iced Chai Tea Latte + Brown Sugar Syrup. Substitute milk with Oatmilk.
19. Iced Caramel Brulée Chai
Starbucks holiday caramel brulée syrup lends a bit of smokey, caramelized flavor to this latte. Both the chai and syrup are perfectly balanced with a topping of vanilla cream.
How to order this drink: Iced Chai Tea Latte + Caramel Brulée Syrup + Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam
20. Eggnog Chai
Want to enjoy a fun holiday Starbucks chai latte? Rich and creamy eggnog takes a regular chai latte over-the-top.
Make note, this Starbucks chai modification is only available at locations that stock eggnog during the holiday season.
How to order this drink: Hot or Iced Chai Tea Latte. Substitute milk with Eggnog.
21. Chai Tea Latte made with Organic Chai Tea Bag
This Starbucks chai tea latte modification is ideal if you want to enjoy all the goodness of chai with a lot less sugar and calories.
While this customization is not a completely sugar-free Starbucks drink, the chai tea brewed from tea bags is both sugar-free and calorie-free.
But it does take a few minutes to make so the tea can steep.
How to order this drink: Ask the barista for either a hot or iced Royal English Tea Latte but ask for it to be made with chai tea bags instead. If you want it to be flavored with vanilla as well, then get a hot or iced London Fog Tea Latte made with chai tea bags.
Related Starbucks Chai Recipes and Guides
- Iced Chai Latte with Matcha Cold Foam: A Starbucks Duo Worth Trying
- How to Make an Iced Chai Latte: Starbucks Recipe Included
- Quick & Easy Starbucks Chai Tea Latte
- Starbucks Dirty Chai Latte Recipe
- Starbucks Chai Eggnog Latte Copycat Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea Latte Recipe
- A Barista’s Guide to Starbucks Chai Tea Drinks